The Rotary Club of Plymouth will be providing three (3) $1,500.00 scholarships during 2015 - 2016 for use in the school year 2016 - 2017. Successful applicants will have demonstrated leadership ability and desire to pursue further education at a two (2) or a four (4) year vocational/technical school or university. Recipients and parents/guardians are invited to a Thursday lunch meeting at the Rotary Club of Plymouth to be recognized. Disbursement of funds will happen after students submit their first semester’s grades. Students must show a G.P.A. of 3.0 or above. The Rotary Club of Plymouth is an authorized affiliate of Dollars For Scholars.
- Seniors who (1) attend a public or private high school located in the City of Plymouth or (2) are home schooled and are residents of the City of Plymouth or (3) are residents of the City of Plymouth but attend a public or private high school in a different city.
- The applicant must plan on attending a two or a four-year vocational/technical school, college or university with a full-time enrollment status.
- Male or female students, any race or religion
- U. S. citizenship or permanent resident
- 3.0 Cumulative grade point average or higher (or the equivalent if the school is not on a 4.0 grading system) or evidence of similar academic achievement if the applicant is home schooled.
- Must NOT be a direct descendant of an active Rotarian
- Written essay will be required (see application form)
- An “in person” interview will be held for finalists. Applicants MUST be available to attend. (date to follow)
- Must have been involved in community service (church, school, city, etc.)
- Work experience (must have held some type of part-time job; could be babysitting, lawn care, retail, restaurant, etc.)
- Demonstrated financial need for full-time enrollment status.
- See attached handout on instructions to create an ONLINE profile on the Dollars for Scholars website. (follow instructions to apply ONLINE ONLY. We will inform your school once our scholarship is open to apply online (details on date to follow)
- You will be required to write a short essay online. See attached form for details. (instructions will also be online)
- Make sure to complete your application with plenty of time to meet required deadlines. (We will not accept any application submitted after the deadline.
- Plymouth Rotary Scholarship committee will conduct a final “in person” interview of the top 5-7 candidates. (Date to be determined)
- If you are contacted for an interview, dress appropriately and please be on time.
GUIDE TO COMPLETE YOUR ONLINE ESSAY.
- Review the Eligibility Criteria form for additional information.
- Provide a written essay to include the following (but not limited to):
- Describe future goals, need, use of money, enthusiasm, outlook, and leadership ability.
- List your career interests.
- Briefly describe your educational plans and which college or technical institution you plan to attend and why.
- Describe your involvement in school activities.
- What do you consider your greatest strength(s)?
- How do you feel you meet the criteria for the scholarships
- What other things about yourself would you like the scholarship selection committee to know? This might include such things as interests, skills, handicaps, family situation, personal changes you have made, etc.
- Provide official transcripts for your junior and senior years.
- Provide two personal references that we could contact (i.e., teacher, guidance counselor, pastor, rabbi, employer, etc.)
It is the policy of the Rotary Club of Plymouth to ensure full equality of opportunity in this scholarship without regard to sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, marital status, economic status, or disability.
All information will be kept confidential except as used in the selection process.